U-High students can get involved in various community engagement experiences:
- Volunteer at one of our community partner organizations
- Participate in service learning experiences offered by teachers
- Sign up for group service opportunities offered on weekends and after school
- Collaborate with community organizations for May Project
Students’ sophomore year is uniquely dedicated to service, and successful completion of the program is a graduation requirement. Students who transfer to U-High after their sophomore year are asked to meet with the Service Learning Coordinator to determine a service plan.
At the beginning of their sophomore year, students will select a community organization where they commit to 40 hours of service over the course of the year. Students can select from an approved list of partner organizations or propose a new service site to the Service Learning coordinator. All service forms must be approved before a student can start his or her service. With the guidance of the Service Learning coordinator, students will be responsible for coordinating a service schedule that works for both the student and the organization.
Students in the Service Learning program are required to:
- Participate in reflection discussions through advisory
- Turn in a signed time sheet at the end of each quarter
- Complete a written reflection in the middle of their service
- Complete a reflection project following the second part of their service