Welcome to Lab!
We are thrilled that your child—and your family—will be joining our school community in the fall. It is an exciting time, we know that you may have questions, and we are here to help! Our goal is to make you feel welcome and ready by the time school begins.
COVID-19 and implications for the fall start of schoolAs a result of COVID-19, like all Illinois schools as well as schools across the country, we cannot know whether schools will remain in remote learning or be back in classrooms. We are preparing for a number of scenarios and will stay in close contact with you as state and federal health guidelines are shared. As an academic unit of the University of Chicago, the Lab community benefits from the support of UChicago leadership, experts, and resources. The University has created a resource page with University updates and public health information on COVID-19 at coronavirusupdates.uchicago.edu.
Addressing some of your immediate questions This Welcome to Lab guide should answer some immediate questions you might have, and help manage your expectations about what has to happen (and when) for your family and child to be ready for the new school year.
Having reviewed this Welcome to Lab guide, please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions, should you still have specific questions.
New Family Resource Guide & Quick Answers
- Health requirements: now is a good time to schedule necessary medical check-ups
- Health forms required by the State of Illinois
- Health forms required by Lab
- How and where to submit your health forms
- Information about exemptions from health requirements
- If your student has a diagnosed learning difference or existing IEP that Lab should know about
- Additional medical and health information
- Student bus service, Extended Day, student food service
- About the Parents’ Association and the PA Mentor Program
- Tuition, billing, payment, and other fees I should expect
- In mid-July, new families receive login credentials for PowerSchool, Lab’s student information system, and website login credentials
- Each new school year kicks off for new and returning families at the start of August. We call the process “Back to Lab”