The goals of the Learning and Counseling Department are to:
- Support the school experience to become an integrated one for each student by acknowledging that a significant relationship exists between a student’s learning process, academic performance and social, familial, and emotional well being.
- Assist students in developing a knowledge of self, their strengths and weaknesses, and a sense of self-worth
- Guide students in developing organizational and problem solving skills
- Promote student development and achievement through assisting students in the understanding of their own individual strengths, challenges, and their unique way of learning
- Collaborate with parents, faculty, administrators, other educators and resource people to help all students move toward an appropriate and successful educational experience
Students can sometimes help each other by working in small groups that are led by a counselor. Group support gives students the opportunity to share ideas and to help one another use these ideas to resolve their concerns.
Individual counseling is provided for students who have a variety of educational and personal concerns in such areas as interpersonal relationships, family issues, academic issues, substance use, and loss and grief.
Counselors are available to the Middle School community as a resource for consultation and referral
Students who are experiencing learning difficulties may benefit from a more in-depth look at their strengths and weaknesses. The Middle School Learning Consultants are available to work in partnership with parents and students in this process. The Learning Consultants serve as sources of referral for students and their families to secure assistance from programs in the School as well as from individuals and organizations outside the School.
The Learning and Counseling Department works to achieve its goals by:
- Obtaining information from students, teachers and families
- Reviewing a student's cumulative records
- Observing a student in class
- Meeting with students and families
- Assisting in the development of a planned partnership between home and school to enhance each child's school success