The purpose of the interscholastic athletic program at University High School is to provide student-athletes with an enjoyable and challenging athletic environment which emphasizes the attainment of both physical skills and strong character development. The program aims to develop in the students, excellent sportsmanship, a strong work ethic, a spirit of cooperation, leadership skills, and such personal character traits as integrity, loyalty, humility, and maturity.
The fundamental basis for our program is the view that coaches are teachers and role models of the standards we expect from the student participants. Participation is open to all students who make a serious commitment to their team.
University High School students learn a great deal from their participation in interscholastic athletics, including lessons in sportsmanship, teamwork, competition, healthy lifestyles, and how to win and lose gracefully. The program plays an important part in helping the individual student develop a healthy self concept as well as a healthy body and mind. Competition adds to our school and community spirit and helps all students, spectators, as well as participants develop pride in their school and community.
- To offer a varied program that is flexible enough to meet the needs of the novice athlete, yet strong enough to prepare the skilled athlete for higher levels of competition.
- To provide the highest quality athletic program staffed with the most competent personnel available.
- To develop the concept of team spirit among all members of teams and coaches.
- To teach the fundamentals and techniques of each sport in a progressive, planned sequence that is appropriate for student-athletes at the high school level.
- To foster the positive aspects of competitive athletics (developing the attitude that striving to win is important), while avoiding the negative aspects of competitive athletics (developing the attitude that winning is everything).