Thank you for your interest in Lab. The deadline for the 2017-18 academic year has now passed, but we still want to know of your interest. In lieu of a formal application, please fill out the Interest Pool form, using the button below, to indicate your interest in a particular grade. In the event of likely space availability, we would be happy to contact you to submit a formal application. Until that time, Lab will hold your contact information.
Our application for the 2018-19 academic year will open in early September. Please check our website at that time to begin an application.
- Nursery 3: Lab is able to welcome approximately 130 new students to our three-year-old nursery school class for the 2018-2019 school year. The Nursery 3 application process for entry in fall 2018 will open in early September.
- Sixth grade: In the 2018-19 school year, Lab anticipates welcoming approximately 15 new students at sixth grade. The sixth grade application process for entry in fall 2018 will open in early September.
- Ninth grade: In the 2018-19 school year, Lab anticipates welcoming approximately 25 new students at ninth grade. The ninth grade application process for entry in fall 2018 will open in early September.
- All other grades: Attrition may open up a few spaces in grades other than N3, 6, and 9. Please understand that it is not unusual for Lab to have no openings for a grade, but that situation can change late in the admission process. For that reason, Lab still encourages families to show their interest by filling out an initial application. Approximately one week after we receive a family’s initial application, we will send an email regarding next steps in the application process. The application process for all other grades for entry in fall 2018 will open in early September.
Thank you for your interest in the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools and welcome to the application and admission process. Our goal is to support your effort to find a school that fits your child’s and family’s needs.
Because the Laboratory Schools are part of the world-renowned University of Chicago, the importance of intellectual life—of thought and exploration—infuses everything we do across all aspects of our curriculum.
The Lab community—teachers, parents, students—cares deeply about curiosity, creativity, inquiry, and scholarship. Because multiculturalism and diversity are essential to academic excellence, the Schools work to assemble a student body that reflects the many differences that shape our world. This diversity is a major reason many families are interested in Lab.
An Overview of Lab Admissions
The deadline to apply for the 2017-2018 academic year has now passed. We anticipate applications for the 2018-2019 academic year to be available in September 2017.
A Note About University- and Lab School-affiliated Applicants
Because community is valued by the University of Chicago and by the Laboratory Schools, priority is given to children of University- and Lab School-affiliated individuals. Lab's admissions process is consistent with Lab's management of applications from affiliated families in the past
- Applicants to Nursery 3 must be two years old before Sept. 1, 2017
- Applicants to Nursery 4 must be three years old before Sept. 1, 2017
- Applicants to Kindergarten must be four years old before Sept. 1, 2017
- Applicants to Grade 1 who are not currently enrolled in Kindergarten must be 5 years old before Sept. 1, 2017
- Applicants to other grades should apply to the grade immediately following the grade in which the applicant is currently enrolled.
- For full consideration, a separate financial aid application must be completed between November 1, 2016 and January 31, 2017.
- More information is online here.
- Ability to pay is not a consideration during Lab’s admissions process. While financial aid is designed to help shrink the gap between what a family can afford and the cost of a Lab education, all families are expected to contribute some portion towards tuition and fees.
Like many independent schools, Lab’s admission process, and especially the number of available openings, varies by grade level, and from year to year.
The primary entry points for students to join the Laboratory Schools for the 2018-2019 academic year are Nursery 3 (three-year-olds), sixth grade, eighth grade, and ninth grade.
Si usted le gustaria hablar con alguien en espanol en relacion con el proceso de solicitud, por favor llame Arcelia Guerrero Wolfe a 773-795-5757. Gracias!