you for your interest in the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools
and welcome to the application and admission process. Our goal is to
support your effort to find a school that fits your child’s and
Because the Laboratory Schools are part of the world-renowned University of Chicago, the importance of intellectual life—of thought and exploration—infuses everything we do across all aspects of our curriculum.
The Lab community—teachers, parents, students—cares deeply about curiosity, creativity, inquiry, and scholarship. Because multiculturalism and diversity are essential to academic excellence, the Schools work to assemble a student body that reflects the many differences that shape our world. This diversity is a major reason many families are interested in Lab.
A Note About University- and Lab School-affiliated Applicants
The Admissions Office gives priority to children of University- and Lab School-affiliated individuals. Lab's admissions process is consistent with Lab's management of applications from affiliated families in the past.
An Overview of Lab Admissions
The application deadline for the 2016-17 academic year has now passed. While we are no longer able to accept applications for the 2016-17 academic year, we invite you to join our Interest Pool.
Si usted le gustaria hablar con alguien en espanol en
relacion con el proceso de solicitud, por favor llame Arcelia Guerrero
Wolfe a 773-795-5757. Gracias!
Si vous desirez parler a quelqu'un en francais concernant le processus d'admission a Lab, merci de contactez Camille Dannenhoffer-Lafage au 773-834-4483.
Like many independent schools, Lab’s admission process, and especially the number of available openings, varies by grade level, and from year to year.
The primary entry points for students to join the Laboratory Schools for the 2016-17 academic year are Nursery 3 (three-year-olds), sixth grade and ninth grade. The following are general overviews of the openings Lab may have at certain grade levels in any given year:
Nursery 3: Lab is able to welcome approximately 130 new students each year to our three-year-old nursery school class. Unfortunately, the deadline to apply for Nursery 3 for the 2016-17 academic year has now passed.
- 6th Grade : In the 2016-17 school year, Lab will add an additional section in the sixth grade, which would allow for approximately 40 additional openings. Unfortunately, the deadline to apply to 6th grade for the 2016-17 academic year has now passed.
Ninth grade: In the 2016-17 school year, Lab will add approximately thirty new seats at ninth grade. This, combined with attrition, means U-High can welcome approximately forty-five new students next fall. Unfortunately, the deadline to apply to 9th grade for the 2016-17 academic year has now passed.
- All other grades: Attrition may open up a few spaces (in rare instances as many as eight to ten) in grades other than N3, grade 6 or grade 9. Please understand that it is not unusual for Lab to have no openings for a grade, but that situation can change late in the admission process. For that reason, Lab still encourages families to show their interest by filling out an initial application. There is no fee for the initial application. Approximately one week after we receive a family’s initial application, we will send an email regarding next steps in the application process. Unfortunately, the deadline to apply for the 2016-17 academic year has now passed.
Application Deadlines for Enrollment in Fall, 2016:
Lab's application deadline for Nursery 3 was Friday, October 9
Lab's application deadline for grades N4-5 was Friday, November 13
Lab's application deadline for grades 6-12 was Monday, November 23
Age Requirements for Application:
- Applicants to Nursery 3 must be two years old before Sept. 1, 2015
- Applicants to Nursery 4 must be three years old before Sept. 1, 2015
- Applicants to Kindergarten must be four years old before Sept. 1, 2015
- Applicants to Grade 1 who are not currently enrolled in Kindergarten must be 5 years old before Sept. 1, 2015
Applicants to other grades should apply to the grade immediately following the grade in which the applicant is currently enrolled.
Because community is valued by the University of Chicago and by the Laboratory Schools, priority is given to children of University- and Lab School-affiliated individuals. Lab's admissions process is consistent with Lab's management of applications from affiliated families in the past.
About Financial Aid
- For full consideration, a separate financial aid application must be completed between November 1, 2015 and January 31, 2016.
- More information is online here.
- Ability to pay is not a consideration during Lab’s admissions process. While financial aid is designed to help shrink the gap between what a family can afford and the cost of a Lab education, all families are expected to contribute some portion towards tuition and fees.